He graduated in 1981 at the University of Bari in Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, with full marks and laud (110/110 cum laude).
Since 1987 he is a nematologist. In particular, his research regarded the following aspects:
• Host-parasite relationship;
• Resistance to root-knot nematodes in tomato, eggplant, pepper, olive and grapevine plants;
• Control of phytoparasitic nematodes by:
- Chemical treatments;
- soil solarization (deriving model relating temperature x exposure time x nematode survival);
- natural substances and nematicidal plants;
- organic soil amendments;
- biological agents (in particular, Aphanocladium album isolate MX-95);
- ozone treatments.
• Relationship between initial population densities of phytoparasitic nematodes and yield losses (deriving Tables of Nematode Patogenicity).
Co-author of two patents:
a) Aphanocladium album isolate MX-95 (Inventors: Ciccarese F., Ambrico A., Schiavone D., Lacirignola C., Longo O., Petruzzella D., Porcelli F., Sasanelli N.) (Patent N° 00041374382)
b) Bacillus thuringiensis bioinsecticide against coleopteran and lepidopterans pests (Toderas I., Molotievskiy Munteanu N., Moldovan A., Sasanelli N., Zihni D., Bacalan S., Relean N.) (Patent MD 4196, MD 4304).
He is director for nematological studies of CRSFA “Basile Caramia” (Center of Researches and Studies and Training in Agriculture) in Locorotondo (province of Bari, Italy).
1) Diploma of graditude released from Institute of Zoology of the Academy of Sciences of R. Moldova;
2) Diploma Eureka. Gold medal for the innovation “Bacillus Thuringiensis – Bioinsecticide against beetles and lepidopteran pests” at the Prestigious Invention Salon INNOVA 2015 in Bruxelles;
3) Prize of the National Authority for Scientific Research and Innovation of Romania;
4) Diploma Meritul Academic from the President of Academy of Sciences of R. Moldova.
5) Jubilee medal awarded by the President of Academy of Sciences of R. Moldova
Author and co-author of 275 publications published in national and international journals: Afro-Asian Journal of Nematology, International Journal of Nematology, Nematologia mediterranea, Nematologica, Nematology, Russian Journal of Nematology, Nematropica, Helminthologia, Phytopathology, Plant Disease, Scientia Horticolturae, J.A. Food Chemistry, Plant Pathology and Crop Protection and Molecular Plant Pathology.